Friday 20 September 2013

Cover vs. Original - Justin Timberlake's 'Mirrors'

Justin Timberlake's song 'Mirrors' is one of my most listened to songs of 2013, but I stumbled across the cover performed by Boyce Avenue and Fifth Harmony and immediately preferred it to the original.

In the original, JT's performance is flawless (my personal opinion) and his voice is definitely suited to songs like this. The simple accompaniment isn't too overpowering of the vocals, and therefore gives the voice the limelight.

When listening to the cover by Boyce Avenue and Fifth Harmony, they started off by having Boyce Avenue's front man (Alejandro Manzano) singing the opening line, followed by lines performed individually by each of the Fifth Harmony girls. When they all come together as one, the performance is flawless with perfect harmonies, and I think this is why I prefer the cover to the original. Having six voices instead of one gives the song more depth and makes it fuller and (personally) nicer to listen to.

Obviously these are entirely my personal opinions, and you may think differently, but give them both a listen. Here are the links:

JT's original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuZE_IRwLNI
Boyce Avenue and Fifth Harmony cover: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvEZUbzqqyM

Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. Holly - great song choice! I have always been a massive fan of JT but I must admit, I really enjoyed the cover version. Have you heard the Ellie Goulding version yet?

    Would you agree that your preference for the cover version is because of how texture has been used in this arrangement? Perhaps the more acoustic timbres are a factor? Can you work out any of the harmonies used i.e. are they singing 6 note chords or is there any doubling?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephen!! I haven't heard the Ellie Goulding version but I will give it a listen. I do think that I prefer it because of the texture, it's much nicer and therefore gives it a better sound. I think the acoustic timbres are a factor, but I generally prefer acoustic music. I haven't worked out the harmonies, but I will have a listen and try!! Holly :)

    ReplyDelete